Friday, September 11, 2009

All the grace of a Water Buffalo...

that's Diesel. Sometimes I wonder if he isn't better suited to the name "Turbo", since he still has these absolutely spastic moments, where he's at warp speed. He's getting better though...A LOT better. We have been working on sits and downs; last night I threw in a little bit of a sit/stay.


Regrettably, I tried to showcase Diesel's "obedience" moves in front of Aaron, AFTER I made the mistake of picking up one of the leashes. Diesel goes CRAZY whenever it's walk time. He pushes the girls out of his way, jumps up on his crate, slams against the door and generally behaves like a 55 pound undirected missile. While I'm not an animal communicator, I think it's safe to say he LOVES going for walks. As I was trying to get his attention in the middle of the frenzy, Aaron pretty much shook his head and said "It's never going to happen, just take him for a walk before he hurts himself or something."


I wasn't so easily dissuaded. I finally captured his attention and got him to sit, he then managed to do that twice in a row, finally keeping his butt on the ground for at least 2 seconds! (if you count 'em fast) As we went for our walk I started thinking about the other dogs I've known and loved. All of them are different in so many different ways. Diesel seems to be the first who's every TRULY wanted to please, he's such a happy, enthusiastic, loving boy. Phoebe reminds me of a willow tree; she's flexible, yet has an inner core that just won't break. At first glance you'd think she was a total mush who would let you do anything to her...but just TRY and do her toenails! Bailee...well she's something else; a total diva who DEMANDS attention every second of her time; she's the toughest and smallest dog I've ever owned...just don't try and tell her she's little! Bella was a queen that ruled with a velvet glove, she NEVER got toesy with Phoebe (who was naughty!), simply a glance and all was under control. Then there was Foley, who I still have trouble talking about, even though it's been nearly two years since he passed. He loved me and did all I asked of him and more, simply because he adored me...of course, the feeling was mutual. Foley was complex, independent, intelligent, protective...majestic; I am so much better off for having had him...for having them all in my life.

It never ceases to amaze me; the depths to which these "lesser" beings personalities go. They are far more complex and evolved in their ability to love than we humans could possibly aspire to be. These lesser beings are far more than I ever could be.


No comments:

Post a Comment