Sunday, November 29, 2009

Not a holiday themed blog.

I hate holidays. Seriously, all the drama, preparation, clean up, dress-up, etc. is more than I personally care to deal with. Cooking a turkey or a ham is a colossal pain in the ass. I mean, if it was just the cooking it would be cake, but there are bones, carcasses and grease to clean up. I'm not a neat freak by any stretch, so I prefer to not make much of a mess in the first place.

However, I'd be a colossal asshole if I didn't recognize that some of the meaning and sentiment behind the holidays were worthy of note. Yesterday, I cleaned out the last super sized vari-kennel and wire crate of Foley's and took them over to Barb Worrell's place, who is the main bullmastiff rescue person in the Pacific Northwest. She got two boys in over the weekend, one was emaciated and full of yeast and bacterial infections; he'd spent most of the last 6 months kenneled outside after his family lost their house and moved to an apartment that didn't allow dogs. I got to meet him when I brought the crates and cratepads over to her place. The next boy that came in was abandoned at an animal shelter in Spokane, no note, no nothing, we think he's about 8 or 9 years old. Can you imagine? Taking care of another being for that long and then dumping them, without a note or even a name tag?

So I'm thankful this weekend. Thankful that I was able to give some things to help make those boy's lives easier. Thankful that none of my dogs will ever have to be "unwanted" again. The tree are chewing bones; Bailee in the computer room with Aaron and Diesel and Phoebe in the living room with me. I need to get showered and to the grocery store...but it's sorta hard to get motivated while everyone else is being lazy and enjoying the day. Somehow, I will persevere, the dogs are nearly out of cookies and there appears to be only one more bone in the freezer!

No comments:

Post a Comment