Thursday, November 19, 2009

"on Demand"


I was walking Diesel and Phoebe the other day and got to thinking about how totally imperfectly they walk on a leash...zig zagging, darting off headlong into a hedge, or in Diesel's case, sometimes trying to lunge at the occasional oncoming vehicle (ugh). It occured to me, that my dogs aren't necessarily "well-behaved" and then it occurred to me, that I really didn't care too much that they weren't. This got me to thinking about things that I wanted to behave perfectly, or function "on demand". I want my car to start when I turn the key, my lights and heat to turn on when I flip the switch, my internet needs to connect and my television needs to turn on ('d love it if there was actually programming to watch, but I don't expect that...).


My dogs? I suppose my expectations for them are lower...I expect them to go outside to potty (sometimes Bailee, takes exception to this and I did catch Diesel lifting his leg in the house once too). I expect them to get along with each other and not fight (again, Bailee is under close supervision and I find myself watching ear set....A LOT). I have different expectations for each of them, especially the bulldogs, who were and are just a little bit broken from mishandling.


I am simply amazed at Diesel's progress, when we first adopted him, he couldn't sit still for 2 minutes without trying to grab your hand or foot and mouth them...he had a lot of time outs and it took a lot of reiki and patience to help him learn to settle himself. He still has some issues when meeting people or seeing other dogs, or if, suppose Aaron is eating something and sitting on the couch. Now I can get his attention, have him leave Aaron alone, sit and do a down; he does get a cookie, but the fact that he CAN be called away from food right in front of him is HUGE. When I watch tv, or read a book, Diesel sits either right beside me, or on the ottoman, so he can rest his head on my ankles and doesn't make an attempt to chew...he will sometimes make some weird gutteral noises, to inform me that he would like to be petted, but otherwise, he is the perfect cuddle-bug. He even snuggles up with Aaron on the couch and is a perfect love. He's so sweet and loving, I can't imagine how anyone would have kept him in an outdoor pen, alone for so many years. Sure, he has his non-perfect issues, but the stuff that matters...well that's pretty much "on demand".

No comments:

Post a Comment